[Position Filled] UX/UI Designer
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN FILLED; PLEASE DO NOT APPLY
Immersed Games is harnessing the power of video games to empower students to learn and love STEM through authentic problem solving.
Our flagship product, Tyto Online, is a video game for middle school students to learn science content and skills. The student experience includes activities like collecting data to figure out if something is an invasive species, building ecosystems to learn ecology, and breeding dragons to learn heredity.
We are a small, multidisciplinary team that is excited to help build a generation of scientifically passionate and literate students, and our work has been supported by grants from National Science Foundation and Department of Education towards that goal. We’re looking for team members enthusiastic about this mission to work alongside us.
What will you do?
You will design and implement new user interfaces that will make a large impact for students and teachers.
- You will work with the game designers and programmers to conceptualize, mock-up, and execute the user interfaces in Tyto Online, as well as directly with our Founder & CEO, who is also our lead educational designer.
- Your role will include working to help us revise, improve, and build new UX/UI for Tyto Online. You’ll therefore work through the UX process, but also have the graphic design ability to make the polished user interface.
- Ideally, we’d like you to also help implement the UI within Blueprints in Unreal Engine 4, to ensure polish. This is something we can train you to do.
- As the sole UX/UI member of our team, you’ll also be asked to help with other UX/UI tasks, such as with our Teacher Dashboard or marketing website and on-boarding processes.
- Your work will be important to our growth and success, and students’ and educators’ experiences, in helping users seamlessly use our product.
The position is full time, on-site in Buffalo, NY, expected to start in April, 2019.
What are we looking for?
- Portfolio of UX/UI projects, including your UX approach and process.
- Excellent graphic design skills across typography, iconography, and layout, with a portfolio demonstrating this.
- Experience creating UX concepts, testing, and implementing interfaces.
- Care deeply about empowering students in their learning.
It’s not lost on us that we didn’t put a degree requirement here. That’s not the pathway for everyone, and is not a requirement for us if you have a great portfolio and are the right person to work with us.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
What’s it like working with us?
We’re a small team, so we focus on making our collaboration as productive as possible, with minimal meetings disrupting your flow. We have quick daily standups, bi-weekly scrum meetings for developers, weekly art critiques for the art team, and ~monthly full team meetings to go over larger business objectives.
We’re flexible to the needs of our staff with an open, communicative environment where everyone has access to everyone else on the team. If you have ideas to change processes, policies, or anything else, you just grab Ryan (one of our co-founders) to chat, and we’ve changed things because of this in the past.
We value inclusivity and diversity, and know our product has benefited from LGBTQ team members asking for character customization setups to be modified (no gender choices, just body styles), or members with ADHD giving feedback on UX designs. Also, being more diverse simply makes a company stronger as you’re less likely to have group think. Our Founder/CEO often says that nothing is sacred or beyond questioning, and we love when people are willing to just work alongside everyone, including our CEO, as equals.
We’re still small, so there is ample room for growth as our company grows. We always promote from within first if the person is up to the task — most of our team actually started as interns!
Salary & Benefits
Salary: $43,000 + equity stock options
We’re an early stage startup, so we’re not making the big bucks yet. But everyone on our team currently makes the same amount (yes, you’ll make the same as the CEO); we’re in this together as we hit achievements and grow the company and our own potential. We’ll be doing significant raises as the business financials can support it until we get to market rates and pay everyone what they are really worth. And of course, you’ll have ownership in the company to benefit on that end, too.
- You’ll pay no NY State Income tax, due to our participation in the Startup NY program. This makes your effective pay higher.
- Flex scheduling: make your own schedule and work when it’s best for you.
- Flexible paid vacation.
- Paid parental leave.
- Free office snacks and drinks.
We know this list is currently missing some important benefits like health insurance and retirement savings that we plan to add during 2019/2020 as the company grows. Right now, we help our employees with the process of using the ACA Marketplace, and are looking forward to growing our sales so that we can afford to give our employees everything they deserve.