Immersed Games is harnessing the power of video games to empower students to learn and love STEM through authentic problem solving.
Our flagship product, Tyto Online, is a video game for middle school students to learn science content and skills. The student experience includes experiences like examining coral bleaching as an anchoring phenomena for learning about climate change, collecting evidence to determine if a planet is an invasive species, and breeding dragons to learn about genetics.
We are a small, multidisciplinary team that is excited to help build a generation of scientifically passionate and literate students, and our work has been supported by grants from the National Science Foundation and Department of Education. We’re looking for team members enthusiastic about this mission to work alongside us.
What will you do?
You will serve as our first Implementation Manager, supporting teachers to use Tyto Online as effectively as possible to achieve their students’ learning goals.
- You will help on-board new teachers and reduce friction for them, using a scaffolded approach that begins with the basics of getting the game installed and students imported (this may require collaborating with school IT personnel), providing recommendations on implementation, and then using our game’s assessment tools for improving practices and differentiating instruction;
- You’ll maintain a high level of client happiness and engagement, monitoring usage data to proactively work with administrators and teachers to ensure successful implementation of the product;
- You will build authentic relationships with teachers and administrators that will help us better support them in implementation and have open dialogues about their needs;
- You’ll be the person in the company with the most constant direct line of communication with teachers, which means you’ll be key in bringing what you’ve learned back to the team to collaborate on ways we can improve our product and processes to better improve the experience for all stakeholders;
- You’ll also work directly on improving our support and customer implementation systems: building out the Knowledgebase, creating new training videos, better on-demand training in the product, and improving professional development plans;
- You will be working mainly from our office in Buffalo supporting teachers through email, live chat, phone and video calls, and sometimes in-person within driving range or with scheduled travel to key deployment locations;
- Your work will directly support our renewals, and you’ll partner with sales (right now, our Founder), to identify schools and districts best suited to expand our reach;
- Your work will be essential to the success of teachers’ implementations, and therefore students’ learning outcomes and our company’s goals, too. You will also have direct influence on improving our product based on the constant learning you will bring back to the team from working directly with educators.
The position is full time, on-site in Buffalo, NY. Our ideal start date would be summer 2019, to prepare for the fall school year.
What are we looking for?
- You are empathetic to the challenges educators experience in serving their communities and improving their teaching practices;
- You care deeply about empowering students’ learning, and are passionate about the role game-based learning can play in supporting this goal;
- You have a background in K-12 education (formal or informal), preferably with a science, STEM, or instructional technology focus, but we are flexible on what exactly this background is as we seek the right person for this unique role;
- You’re an excellent communicator and relationship builder;
- You are a flexible thinker and learner who will be able to make customized recommendations based on unique teacher situations;
- You have basic technical skills for ability to learn our product, create tutorial videos or other needed materials, and present with online training tools;
- You are willing to travel, as needed, to support teachers’ implementations in person.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
What’s it like working with us?
We’re a small team, so we focus on making our collaboration as productive as possible, with minimal meetings disrupting your flow. We have quick daily standups, bi-weekly scrum meetings for developers, weekly art critiques for the art team, and ~monthly full team meetings to go over larger business objectives.
We’re flexible to the needs of our staff with an open, communicative environment where everyone has access to everyone else on the team. If you have ideas to change processes, policies, or anything else, you just grab Ryan (one of our co-founders) to chat, and we’ve changed things because of this in the past.
We value inclusivity and diversity, and know our product has benefited from LGBTQ team members impacting the design of character creation (no gender choices, just body styles), or members with ADHD giving feedback on UX designs. Also, being more diverse simply makes a company stronger as research shows you’re less likely to have group think. Our Founder/CEO often says that nothing is sacred or beyond questioning, and we love when people are willing to just work alongside everyone, including our CEO, as equals.
We’re still small, so there is ample room for growth as our company grows. We always promote from within first if the person is up to the task — which means you could end up creating an entire team around you, if that’s the type of role you’re interested in.
Salary & Benefits
Salary: $43,000 + equity stock options
We’re an early stage startup, so we’re not making the big bucks yet. But everyone on our team currently makes the same amount (yes, you’ll make the same as the CEO); we’re in this together as we hit achievements and grow the company and our own potential. We won’t be only growing this salary at a small rate, we’ll do significant raises as the business finances can support it until we get to market rates and pay everyone what they are really worth. And of course, you’ll have ownership in the company to benefit on that end, too.
- You’ll pay no NY State Income tax, due to our participation in the Startup NY program. This makes your effective pay higher.
- Flex scheduling: make your own schedule and work when it’s best for you.
- Flexible paid vacation.
- Paid parental leave.
- Retirement savings plan (401k).
- Free office snacks and drinks.
We know this list is currently missing some important benefits, mainly health insurance, that we plan to add during 2019/2020 as the company grows. Right now, we help our employees with the process of using the ACA Marketplace, and are looking forward to growing our sales so that we can afford to give our employees everything they deserve.