Immersed Games is harnessing the power of video games to empower students to learn and love STEM through authentic problem solving.
Our flagship product, Tyto Online, is a video game for middle school students to learn science content and skills. The student experience includes experiences like examining coral bleaching as an anchoring phenomena for learning about climate change, collecting evidence to determine if a planet is an invasive species, and breeding dragons to learn about genetics.
We are a small, multidisciplinary team that is excited to help build a generation of scientifically passionate and literate students, and our work has been supported by grants from the National Science Foundation and Department of Education. We’re looking for team members enthusiastic about this mission to work alongside us.
What will you do?
You will work with an interdisciplinary team to develop new, and improve existing, game features and systems that will make a large impact for students and teachers.
- You will work with other programmers on the team to implement user stories in a client/server environment, including optimizing and debugging to support a wide range of platforms in use by students in schools;
- You will be working with a small, interdisciplinary team, so you’ll work with designers, artists, and other programmers to effectively problem-solve, plan, and communicate about current and upcoming needs and milestones;
- You’ll spend much of your time in the Unreal Engine 4, but will also work on the server (such as when implementing simulation code), and on our content authoring tools that integrate with the game’s server, working closely with content creators to implement and expand effective tools to support a continually updated online game;
- Your work will be important to our growth and success, and students’ and educators’ experiences, as you will be a key member of our team.
About your first project. We currently have a National Science Foundation Phase II development grant, with core development planned through the end of 2020. This project, called Expeditions, adds a “raid” to Tyto Online where groups of students work together to collect data in a live simulation to figure out what is wrong (disease, pollution, inbreeding, etc.). Students then work together to implement and test engineering solutions that solve the problem.
This is the scrum team we plan on you joining, working alongside our technical cofounder, technical designer, game designer, educational consultants, UX/UI designer, and artists. This is a critical project that will empower us to develop many more interdisciplinary, group problem solving experiences within Tyto Online. You’ll have more opportunities to develop and learn on new projects after the ~18 months spent working on this game expansion!
About our technology. We primarily use C++, with other languages as needed. Being an online game, there’s a lot of network code involved, using everything from RakNet’s brand of socket programming to small services written in various areas of web code. We primarily work with the Unreal Engine, but also have our custom server that runs off RakNet and C++14. Currently, our primarily platforms are PC, OSX, and Chromebook (as an Android app).
The position is full time, on-site in Buffalo, NY. Our ideal start date is in July or August, 2019.
What are we looking for?
- Strong grasp of C++ and commonly used programming patterns and data structures;
- Experience using a game engine, UE4 specifically would be a plus;
- Experience with version control;
It’s not lost on us that we didn’t put a degree requirement here. That’s not the pathway for everyone, and is not a requirement for us if you have a great portfolio of programming work and are the right person to work with us. If you don’t have a degree, please ensure you have projects that help demonstrate your grasp of 2D/3D math!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
What’s it like working with us?
We’re a small team, so we focus on making our collaboration as productive as possible, with minimal meetings disrupting your flow. We have quick daily standups, bi-weekly scrum meetings for developers, weekly art critiques for the art team, and ~monthly full team meetings to go over larger business objectives.
We’re flexible to the needs of our staff with an open, communicative environment where everyone has access to everyone else on the team. If you have ideas to change processes, policies, or anything else, you just grab Ryan (one of our co-founders) to chat, and we’ve changed things because of this in the past.
We value inclusivity and diversity, and know our product has benefited from LGBTQ team members impacting the design of character creation (no gender choices, just body styles), or members with ADHD giving feedback on UX designs. Also, being more diverse simply makes a company stronger as research shows you’re less likely to have group think. Our Founder/CEO often says that nothing is sacred or beyond questioning, and we love when people are willing to just work alongside everyone, including our CEO, as equals.
We’re still small, so there is ample room for growth as our company grows. We always promote from within first if the person is up to the task!
Salary & Benefits
Salary: $43,000 + equity stock options
We’re an early stage startup, so we’re not making the big bucks yet. But everyone on our team currently makes the same amount (yes, you’ll make the same as the CEO); we’re in this together as we hit achievements and grow the company and our own potential. We won’t be only growing this salary at a small rate, we’ll do significant raises as the business finances can support it until we get to market rates and pay everyone what they are really worth. And of course, you’ll have ownership in the company to benefit on that end, too.
- You’ll pay no NY State Income tax, due to our participation in the Startup NY program. This makes your effective pay higher.
- Flex scheduling: make your own schedule and work when it’s best for you.
- Flexible paid vacation.
- Paid parental leave.
- Retirement savings plan (401k).
- Free office snacks and drinks.
We know this list is currently missing some important benefits, mainly health insurance, that we plan to add during 2019/2020 as the company grows. Right now, we help our employees with the process of using the ACA Marketplace, and are looking forward to growing our sales so that we can afford to give our employees everything they deserve.